Thanksgiving and Black Friday are fast approaching, and it is important to have all the most delicious dishes on the table to help you have the best Thanksgiving meal. We also have the best home accessories to purchase for Black Friday. This article covers those home accessories you need.
1. Planning Ahead – Meal Preparation
Alright, you have a basic idea of what you are going to serve at the Thanksgiving table, so these are the things that will help. A magnetic menu board will help you work out what you want to serve. A magnetic whiteboard stuck to the fridge will help you write down all the groceries you need to purchase according to the menu. You may write down such things as:
- 7-kilogram (15 Pound) Turkey
- Medium Onion – Chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery- Chopped
- Thick Carrot Slices (1 Large Carrot)
- Orange Wedges (1 Medium Orange)
Herb and Spice Rub
- Place 2 tablespoons of dried parsley into a bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons ground dried rosemary
- Add 2 tablespoons of rubbed dried sage
- Add 2 tablespoons of dried thyme leaves
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt
- Stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon until well-blended
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Rub the herb and spice rub mixture into the cavity of the 15-pound (7 kilos) turkey
- Place the chopped onions, celery, carrots and oranges into the cavity of the turkey
- Tie the turkey legs together with kitchen string
- Tuck the wings under the body
- Line a large roasting pan with enough aluminum foil to wrap over the turkey. Place a roasting rack into the roasting pan. Place the turkey on the rack
- Pour 14.5 ounces (1.74 cups) of chicken broth over the turkey
- Pour champagne over the turkey, making sure to place some in the cavity of the turkey. White wine can be used here instead as well.
- Wrap the aluminum foil over the turkey above and around and seal, without touching the skin of the turkey
- Roast the turkey for 2.5-3 hours. Make sure it is no longer pink on the bone and the juice has run clear.
- Uncover the turkey and roast until skin is golden brown (extra 30 minutes to 1 hour)
- If you place a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh area near the bone, it should read 180 degrees Celsius.
- Take out the turkey allowing it to rest in a warm area before slicing with your chef knife taken from your magnetic fridge knife holder.
The above delicious recipe is taken from allrecipes.com and serves 20
Delicious Sweet Potatoes
Go to the magnetic whiteboard on your fridge and write down the following ingredients, making sure to purchase them when next out grocery shopping:
- 8 Sweet Potatoes
- Large sticks of Butter
- Place 8 sweet potatoes on a large tray lined with tin foil and prick all over with a fork to allow the steam to escape.
- Cook for 45 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius.
- Take them out after 45 minutes and cut a slit vertically with a small paring or utility knife from your magnetic knife holder from top to bottom.
- Place a stick of butter inside.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add chives.
The above delicious recipe is taken from delish.com and serves 8.
Sweet Cranberry Sauce
- ¾ Cup of Sugar
- ½ Cup of Orange Juice
- ½ Cup of Water
- 12 Oz (340 Grams) Fresh Cranberries
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon
- Piece of Orange Peel
- Place the sugar, the orange juice and the water in a big saucepan over mid-heat.
- Pour in the cranberries, the cinnamon stick, salt and piece of orange peel.
- Stir frequently and bring it to a simmer on medium heat
- Cook for an extra 10 minutes and leave only a few berries whole
- Cool for up to 30 minutes
- Cover and place in fridge
The above sweet recipe is taken from momontimeout.com.
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Kilograms Varied Potatoes – Russets and Yukon Golds
- 1 Stick Butter (and 2 Tablespoons for Garnish)
- ½ Cup of Milk
- Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Peel and cover the potatoes in water in a big pot and add a large pinch of salt. Cook for 16-18 minutes until soft and drain the water.
- Mash the potatoes in the pot with a masher.
- In a separate pot pour the milk over the butter and wait till they are warm and melted
- Pour this over the potatoes and stir in until creamy
- Add the sour cream in and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the two tablespoons of butter and a pinch of pepper.
The above wonderful dish is a delicious accompaniment to any Thanksgiving meal. This recipe is from delish.com and serves 6-8 people.
- 1½ Cups Yellow Cornmeal
- ¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons Butter – Melted and Slightly Cooled
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Grease a baking pan (9 inches x 13 inches) with a lot of butter
- Take a large bowl and whisk the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, flour, baking soda and brown sugar.
- In a separate large bowl whisk the milk, eggs, melted butter and buttermilk.
- Take the wet ingredients and pour them into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork so that they combine.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. The top should be golden and an inserted toothpick should come out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes, cut into slices, and add a knob of butter and honey to each slice when serving.
The above delicious recipe comes from delish.com and provides 6 servings.
Once everything is written down here, you can easily check the fridge to see what ingredients are still needed. Every ingredient you own can be crossed off the magnetic board full of groceries. Once you are finished, take a picture with your phone and bring that with you to the grocery shop!
If you decide to buy these after Thanksgiving, use them for Christmas!
2. Have the Necessary Tools Ready
In order to work with all the groceries you have just purchased, you need the right set of knives – knives that are easily accessible from your magnetic knife holder that hold everything so perfectly in order. Using your knives this way will increase the speed and efficiency of the meals you are preparing.
There are a range of magnetic knife holders to place your knife sets against. Your knife sets may contain Butcher, Chef, Paring knives, kitchen scissors and more. These magnetic knife holders are just wonderful:
- 17-inch stainless steel wall knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $29.95 with 1358 customer reviews)
- 17-inch stainless steel fridge knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $39.95 with 760 customer reviews)
- Mini 10-inch stainless steel knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $24.95 with 208 customer reviews)
- Extra-long 24-inch stainless steel knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $44.95 with 110 customer reviews)
- Mini 10-inch Walnut wood knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $34.95)
- 16-Inch Walnut wood knife holder (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $39.95 with 46 customer reviews)
- Extra-long 24-inch Walnut wood knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $64.95)
- 16-Inch Maple wood knife holders (BLACK FRIDAY PRICE $39.95 with 22 customer reviews)
There are a fantastic range of knives out there, knives that fall under the names of prestigious chefs such as Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, as well as knives used by Nigella Lawson.
3. Keep the Kids Busy
With all the commotion going on in the kitchen, the kids will need to be kept busy. If you are one of those parents that don’t want their kids planted in front of mindless television shows, get them an educational game to work with attached magnetically to the fridge that will work on their mathematical skills.
The Magnetic Ten Frame & Counters is the perfect game for this. It comes with a magnetic frame that easily attaches to the fridge with large and colorful (red, orange, yellow, green and blue) magnetic counters and flash cards for your children to work through by themselves.
This sells for $34.95 and as a Black Friday deal you can get 2 with a 10% discount, or 3 – which includes anything from HMmagnets at 12% off).
Besides that, there is a Large Magnetic Behavior & Reward Chart to help your kids keep focused and busy with chores, and proud of their accomplishments. It costs $49.95 and comes with fun task-related stickers and stars.
4. Get Organized for Next Year
What’s better than a weekly (at $24.95) or monthly calendar (at $27.95) to help keep you on top of things in the new year? These magnetic weekly and monthly calendars have vertical and horizontal options and come with different colored markers to aid organization.
Yes, it may be easy to write events in your cell phone, but when you really need to remember things, a handy reminder every time you grab a drink out the fridge will certainly help.
5. Keep Hubby Busy in the New Year
Has your hubby got so busy with work that he has not had the time to focus on his favorite hobbies, such as building and fixing things? Well, get his tools organized with the purchase of a 17-inch magnetic tool holder at $24.95 that can be kept against the wall. If he has a ton of tools, you can even purchase two magnetic tool holders and place them together, or a longer 24-inch magnetic tool holder for $34.95.
A Thanksgiving meal is one of giving thanks and sharing with those we love. These meals are just Thanksgiving basics that should be on any festive table. Of course, there are many other dishes that will provide smiles to many happy and hungry faces at the table. Just take a look at delish.com, tasty.co, and bbc.co.uk for many more tasty Thanksgiving recipes!
Also, paying attention to the home and the accessories it needs to aid organization will help to make things easier on you and the whole family. Black Friday is about spending one day of the year buying all the stuff you’ve been thinking about all year long – it is a day dedicated to shopping, so don’t feel guilty for doing so, and finally add all those needed items to your home!